Sunday 17 February 2013

Vintage Kimono Love


Kimono in Japan are magical, ceremonial and worth thousands of yen.  There are many different types of fabric and detailing, but the real deal is always costly. These here lovely pieces are second hand, purchased for the equivalent of 5 Canadian dollars.  They were probably worn as 'everyday' kimono because they aren't very fancy, but i love the prints and feel of each of them.

My big scheming dream is to learn how to transform these beauties into summer frocks or otherwise wearable dresses.  There is also a lot of room to play with extra fabric (the huge sleeves and the bottom) so I can use the extra pieces for purses, quilting....who knows what else!  The creative possibilities are endless and it has me reeling for more, more!  But i'll hold off (promise) until I can figure out what to to with them.

Firstly, I'm using some of the fabric on the clutch that I'm working on (from Nicole's tutorial).  I'll take pictures and post on that soon.  Thrifting in Japan is such a goldmine, as everything is so well made and Japanese typically enjoy turning over their wares frequently.  I'm just beginning to learn about where to find nice fabric and collect ideas on what to do with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment